new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Cologne Cathedral (Germany) | by Kaptah
Back to photostream

Cologne Cathedral (Germany)

La Catedral de Colonia (Kölner Dom en alemán - oficialmente Hohe Domkirche St. Peter und Maria), de estilo neogótico, comenzó a construirse en 1248 y no se terminó hasta 1880, siendo actualmente el monumento más visitado de Alemania.

 

Con sus 157 metros de altura fue el edificio más alto del mundo hasta la culminación del Monumento a Washington en 1884, de 170 metros.

 

Es la mayor catedral de Alemania y la segunda catedral gótica por dimensiones del mundo (la más grande es la de Sevilla).

 

Cuenta con la campana balanceante más grande del mundo ("Der dicke Pitter", en el dialecto de Colonia: "Pedro el gordo", que suena sólo en ocasiones muy especiales). Posee una plataforma, desde donde se tiene, a 95 metros de altura, una excelente vista de la ciudad y del paisaje de los alrededores (genial para fotos).

 

Fue declarada Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la Unesco en el año 1996.

 

------------------

 

Cologne Cathedral (German: Kölner Dom, officially Hohe Domkirche St. Peter und Maria, English: High Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Mary) is a Roman Catholic church in Cologne, Germany. It is renowned as a monument of Christianity, of German Catholicism in particular, of Gothic architecture and of the continuing faith and perseverance of the people of the city in which it stands. It is dedicated to Saint Peter and the Blessed Virgin Mary.

 

The cathedral is a World Heritage Site, one of the best-known architectural monuments in Germany, and Cologne's most famous landmark, described by UNESCO as an "exceptional work of human creative genius". It is Germany's most visited landmark, attracting an average of 20,000 people a day.

 

Construction of Cologne Cathedral began in 1248 and took, with interruptions, until 1880 to complete. It is 144.5 metres (474 ft) long, 86.5 m (284 ft) wide and its towers are approximately 157 m (515 ft) tall. The cathedral is one of the world's largest churches and the largest Gothic church in Northern Europe. For four years, 1880–84, it was the tallest structure in the world, until the completion of the Washington Monument.

 

The 24-ton St. Petersglocke ("Bell of St. Peter", "Dicke Pitter" in the Kölsch dialect), was cast in 1922 and is the largest free-swinging bell in the world.

2,568 views
9 faves
25 comments
Taken on April 8, 2011