01k US Courthouse (Los Angeles) NRHP-06000001 - The Young Lincoln (E)
National Register of Historic Places No. 06000001, Added February 9, 2006
National Historic Landmark, Added October 16, 2012
Scupture: "The Young Lincoln," James Lee Hansen
Federal Building and Post Office (now US Federal Courthouse), 1938-40
Louis A Simon, Gilbert Stanley Underwood
312 N Spring Street, Northeast corner of North Spring and West Temple Streets
PWA Moderne of the late thirties, beuatifully and convincingly carried out. When the "Architectural Record in 1940 asked a number of Los Angeles citizens to cite their favorite buildings, the then-new Federal Building was one of them. Though seventeen stories high (on North Spring Street) the building manages to remain snugly withi the classical tradition -- albeit in an abstracted manner. Within, luxury and formalism are evident, ranging from rose marble and Siena Ttravertine to James L Hansen's larger-than-size scupture "The Young Lincoln," to Archibald Garner's eight-foot-high sculpture in stone, "Law."
Architecture in Los Angeles: A Compleat Guide
David Gebhard and David Winter
Downtown, Civic Center, No. 6
The U.S. Court House in Downtown Los Angeles is a Moderne style building that originally served as both a post office and a court house. The building was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood and Louis A. Simon. In recent years, it has functioned as a court house with judges from the United States District Court for the Central District of California. There is an another federal court house in the Roybal Building in Downtown Los Angeles. In February 2006, the U.S. Court House and Post Office was added to the National Register of Historic Places.