KANDYAN ART ASSOCIATION, No. 72, Sangaraja Mawatha, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
The present building in which the Kandyan Art Association is now housed was a British Military hospital around 1876. Before that it was a stately lakeside residence of the Sinhalese royal household and had undergone some conversions to be transformed into a hospital. But still the building has retained its character though it is believed to be more than 175 years old. The Government Agent of the central province Sir. J. F. Dickson wanted to act for the betterment of the craftsmen and their industry. As a result of his effort Kandyan Art Association was formed in 1882. The successive Government Agents played a major role in shifting this association from a small kachcheri room in G. A.‘s office to the present building in 1924. Now this venue has turned into an art gallery with a sales outlet and a place where turning out process is demonstrated.
The Kandyan Art Association is a kind of a 'one stop shop' for the handicrafts produced in the region.

Directions: Approaching the Temple of the Tooth from the front, continue on the path by the lake for a bit. The Association is up steep stairs on the left.
36 photos · 2 videos · 1,564 views