The Territory of Hawaii in the 1950s
A collection of postcards, photos, slides, and other ephemera from the last decade or so of the Territorial Era that ended when Hawaii became the 50th state on August 21, 1959. Was that really over 50 years ago?
The idea behind this collection was to create a remembrance of what island life was like during that last magical moment when Hawaii was one of the remotest spots on earth. It took over 9 hours to reach by propellor airplane from the US west coast or 5 days by ship.
I was a young haole boy in the Honolulu public schools during the 1950s and 60s and I treasure my memories of that pre-jet age time and place.
Vintage of photos is based on:
1. Postmark or other date on photo
2. "T.H." or "Territory of Hawaii" in addresses
3. Distinctive development, landmarks, automobiles, and fashions in the picture
4. Release dates of films advertised on movie marquees
5. Postal zone number instead of zip code in addresses
6. Printing style and publisher
Most of the photos in this collection are from the post World War II territorial era - between 1945 and 1959 - but several outside that time frame are included for historical perspective.
I appreciate comments or mail from Flickr members, especially with additional information on the photos or any corrections. I've learned a lot about the territory since posting this collection.
Wikipedia on the Territory of Hawaii