From the Landmarks Preservation Commission document LP-0638:
"Sylvan Terrace has rows of ten little two-story wooden houses on each side.
Their high narrow stoops, set parallel to and tight against the house fronts,
rise up to the entrances over the basement doors. ,
Looking up this street one obtains a fine view of the Jumel Mansion at- its
eastern end. At the westerly end is a fence with steps leading down to St.
Nicholas Avenue. . :
.'•• •• A ••
These houses, designed by G. Robinson, Jr. for James E. Ray, represent the
first investment development of the area, in 1882. No. 20 retains;over the
doorway the original molded, dentiled canopy supported by scrollwork brackets.
Several other houses retain their original, boldly paneled double doors, No. 5
having an excellent example. Most of the houses are now covered with stucco,
• metal siding or imitation brick. The cornices are supported on small, uniformly
spaced brackets and are stepped down house by house as they approach St.
Nicholas Avenue. "