bonnet after tea-dyeing
Please excuse the poor pics. My poor camera is on its last legs! At least I got the white balance right!
Here is the bonnet after weathering/antiquing. This is the bonnet after drying. I haven't pressed it, nor have I blocked the lace trim - as you can see, the trim curled and shrunk a bit after the dye process. I may or may not block it; keeping the trim as it is does make the bonnet appear more antiqued.
This is the first time that I tea-dye anything - I think it's a great technique! I'm going to tea-dye not only white/off-white fabric, but also some prints to give them a weathered look.
To dye the bonnet, I used 4 cups of boiling water and 8 English breakfast teabags (2 teabags per cup of water). I allowed the bags to steep for 5 minutes only. After I removed the bags, I added a couple pinches of salt to help set the colour, then I allowed the dye bath to cool before adding the item. To achieve this shade, the bonnet sat in the dye bath for 12 minutes. I then rinsed the bonnet until the water ran clear.