ZOU-NO-HANA Park was the site of the landing point of Commodore Perry on his second visit to Japan from the Unites States on March 31st, 1854. Yokohama was subsequently selected as one of five main ports in the Treaty of Amity and Commerce between Japan and the United States in 1859. This area became the first full-scale port of Yokohama, providing the region with an area of active international trade. 'ZOU-NO-HANA' was named after the dykes in the area that resembled the shape of an elephants nose ('hana' means nose in Japanese). 'ZOU-NO-HANA' has been gradually transformed over the years.