Some of the earliest settlers in Cades Cove established this church in 1827. A log building served their needs until this simple frame structure replaced it in 1887. The church closed during the War Between the States of the 1860s. Official church correspondence after the war explained it all: "We the Primnitive Baptist Church in Blount County in Cades Cove, do show the public why we have not kept up our church meeting. It was on account of the Rebellion and we was Union people and the Rebels was too strong here in Cades Cove. Our preacher was obliged to leave sometimes, and thank God we once more can meet."
The Consolidated School, now gone, stood on the left of the road leading to the church.
The Primitive Baptist Church is stop # 4 on the Cades Cove Loop Road, Great Smoky Mountains National Park.