The "architectural centerpiece" of Lakewood Cemetery is the Byzantine-style Memorial Chapel, designed by Harry Wild Jones. The exterior was modeled after the Hagia Sophia in Istabul, Turkey. The beautiful interior was designed by NY designer Charles Lamb who patterned the mosaics after the San Marco Cathedral in Venice. Lamb traveled to Rome where he commissioned six artists, who had recently worked on the Vatican, to collect over 10 million mosaic pieces and assemble them in Minneapolis. When the structure was completed in 1910, it was the only authentic mosaic interior in the United States.
Lakewood Memorial Chapel. Minneapolis. Minnesota.