Sakura and Daibonsho
A beautiful sakura tree blooming in front of Zojo-ji's large bell tower (Daibon-sho).
Completed in 1673, the Daibonsho was known as one of the three great bells of the Edo period. It weighs in excess of fifteen tons. It has a height of 3.3 meters and a diameter of 1.76 meters. The function of the bell was not only to tell time, but to purify evil spirits.
Zojo-ji, a Jodo-shu (Pure Land) temple in Minato-ku, was once the most important temple of the Tokugawa empire. The grounds contain a mausoleum where six of the fifteen Tokugawa shoguns now reside. Originally established in 1393, it was moved to Edo (its current location) in 1598. Despite being mostly destroyed during the bombings of WWII, most of the structures have been rebuilt. Zojo-ji is still used as a Buddhist seminary and the area surrounding the temple is now what is known as Shiba Park.