OVRO 40-m Telescope
The Owens Valley Radio Observatory 40-m (130-ft) telescope was designed in 1963-64 and constructed in 1965-1966 by Westinghouse Electric Corporation, with funding from the National Science Foundation. The telescope is an alt-azimuth instrument, consisting of an f/0.4 40-m paraboloidal dish reflector, feed and supports, mounted on an alidade and base pedestal. The reflecting surface consists of a mosaic of 852 precision-contoured, lightweight aluminum, individually-positionable panels.
The telescope has embarked on a new research campaign. In support of the recently launched Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, the 40m telescope is monitoring nearly 1200 blazars every two days. The 40m measurements at 15GHz are to be compared to the Fermi gamma-ray measurements of the same sources.
Owens Valley Radio Observatory, Big Pine, California, 19 May 2010.
© 2010 José Francisco Salgado, PhD