The temple is situated at the bottom of the Annamalai hill facing East. The temple occupies an area of about 25 acres of land. The walls on the East and West measure 700 feet each while that of the south measures 1479 feet and the northern one measures 1590 feet. It has got four stately towers on all the four sides and the eastern tower being the tallest of all is called the Rajagopuram. Its base is made of granite measuring 135 feet by 98 feet. This tower was built by king Krishnadevaraya of Vijayanagara and completed by Sevappa Nayaka of Thanjavur. There are inscriptions that detail that the gopuram was built on the request of Sivanesa and his brother Lokanatha in 1572 A.D.The southern tower is called "Thirumanjangopuram"
Four Brahmotsavams are celebrated every year, the most famous of which is the one celebrated during the Tamil month of Karthikai (November/December). The ten day event culminates on the day of Karthigai Deepam. On that evening, a huge lamp is lit in a cauldron with three tons of ghee at the top of the Annamalai hill.
Every full moon night, tens of thousands of pilgrims worship Shiva by circumambulating the Arunachala hill barefoot. The circumambulation covers a distance of about 14 km. On the yearly Chitra Powrnami (full moon) night in the Tamil calendar year, hundreds of thousands of pilgrims from across the world visit the sacred town.