St John's of Roundhay
Designed by Thomas Taylor for Stephen Nicholson, this church was built 1824-26. The adjacent almshouses were built in 1834 and a day school was also added at some time.

The church is no longer in use and the congregation use the Roundhay Methodist Church in Oakwood.

An earlier aerial view of the church can be seen on Leodis at www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=20051013_4...

For more details see the West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service web page on "Roundhay Park Conservation Area": www.archaeology.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=ConsRou.htm

The graveyard contains a number of graves, some of which can be seen in this set, but all the memorials of which are recorded at homepage.ntlworld.com/nev.hurworth/MIsRhay.htm

There are two histories of the church easily available. One is the St John's Church Roundhay Centenary Souvenir 1826-1926 (http://www.stjohnsroundhay.co.uk/stjohnscentenary.html) and the other is A History of St John's Church Rounday, including the school (http://www.stjohnsroundhay.co.uk/stjohnschurch.html).
12 photos · 2,046 views