Horning Ferry Wind Pump
Horning Ferry,Horning, Norfolk
The Horning Ferry Drainage Pump is a local Landmark,on the banks of The River Bure.
For many years the broads were regarded as natural features of the landscape. It was only in the 1960s that Dr Joyce Lambert proved that they were artificial features, the effect of flooding on early peat excavations. The Romans first exploited the rich peat beds of the area for fuel, and in the Middle Ages the local monasteries began to excavate the peat lands as a business, selling fuel to Norwich and Great Yarmouth. The Cathedral took 320,000 tones of peat a year. Then the sea levels began to rise, and the pits began to flood. Despite the construction of wind pumps and dykes, the flooding continued and resulted in the typical Broads landscape of today, with its reed beds, grazing marshes and wet woodland.
In The 1800’s there were 240 wind pumps on The Broads.Only 70 remain,most of which are derelict.
In the 1930’s Horning Ferry Wind Pump was converted to a 3 Bedroom house.It is now used as holiday accommodation.