Kit's Coty House , Blue Bell Hill , Aylesford , Kent(2)
Kit’s Coty House or Kits Coty is a Dolmen, Quoit or Cromlech, depending upon the native language .It is all that remains of a Neolithic Chambered Long Barrow. Built somewhere between 3500BC and 2800BC.
The Quoit stood at on end of a 70M long, 30M wide, earthen mound, running east to West. The Mound was constructed by digging a quarry ditch each side. The earth was held in place by Kerb Stones. In 1722, William Stukeley, sketched the site while it was still largely intact
The Quoit consists of three sarsen orthostats, supporting a horizontal Capstone, with a total height of almost 3M. Another stone at the site, called The General’s Stone or The General’s Tomb, was blown up by the local landowner in 1867, because it interfered with ploughing.
In 1885 Kit’s Coty became one of the first sites in Britain to become a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The railings were added a couple of years later at the suggestion of the explorer Augustus Pitt Rivers. As only the Quoit was surrounded by railings, the long barrow has been continually ploughed away. Uncovered stones dumped in woodland nearby.