Edisen Fishery at Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
The Edisen Fishery is a restored site where the National Park Service provides information about the commercial fishing activities that once occured on the island. Of over 50 such installations, this fishery is the last one remaining.
From the State of Michigan Historic Preservation Website:
The Edisen Fishery, located on the southern shore of the Rock Harbor in the Isle Royale National Park, is a commercial fishing complex of seven buildings. A single-story log fish house, a similar net house, sleeping cabins, privy, chicken coop, docks, and fishing equipment have been well maintained. All buildings are of log construction, covered by ship lap or tongue- and-groove board sheathing. A dory-style whale boat with an outboard rudder and a decked-over bow docked nearby is an integral part of the complex
The Edisen Fishery is the best continuously used example of a commercial fishery at Isle Royale. The structures and variety of fishing equipment in the complex represent the development of commercial fishing techniques on Lake Superior since the beginning of the twentieth century. Constructed between 1895 and 1934 by local fishermen, the buildings have been maintained with locally available materials. Year-round residents Peter and Laura Edisen added buildings as needed, based on strictly functional designs. While both Pete and Laura are gone now, the fishery is still operational and currently open to visitors.