Helen's Gourmet Chinese Food
I took these shots for Asian Restaurant News Magazine. This is Orange Chicken from "Helen's Gourmet Chinese Food" in Fresno, California.
Below is a recipe for Orange Chicken that I found here. It is not the recipe used in the photograph above.
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 2 tablespoons orange juice
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/3 cup rice vinegar
* 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons water
* 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Pour 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Place the chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. In another resealable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the marinated chicken pieces, seal the bag, and shake to coat.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken into the skillet, and brown on both sides. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; stir into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.