new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Notice.. Jan 7 | by Jocey K
Back to photostream

Notice.. Jan 7

The earthquakes in December damaged this building... so i think it will have to come down.


Victora St on the walk home from Hagley Park, Christchurch January 20, 2012.


We had a good start to the New year without many shakes, then this morning they came in force with a 5.1 at 1.27am Jan 3, 2012 followed by many more the biggest being a 5.5.


A magnitude 5.8 followed by a 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Lyttelton on Friday afternoon the 23rd December, 2011, causing liquefaction to once again erupt from the earth and leaving sewerage, water and power out of action in pockets of eastern Christchurch.


A series of intense'' aftershocks have followed, and hundreds and hundreds'' were recorded by GNS in the 24 hours following the two major quakes, said seismologist Bill Fry.)

Taken from the New Zealand Herald New paper


The February 22, 2011 Christchurch earthquake was a magnitude 6.3 (ML) earthquake that struck the Canterbury region in New Zealand's South Island at 12:51 pm on Tuesday, 22 February 2011 local time (23:51 21 February UTC), The earthquake was centred 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) west of the town of Lyttelton, and 10 kilometres (6 mi) south-east of the centre of Christchurch, New Zealand's second-most populous city. It followed nearly six months after the magnitude 7.1 4 September 2010 Canterbury earthquake, which caused significant damage to Christchurch and the central Canterbury region, but no direct fatalities.


The earthquake caused widespread damage across Christchurch, especially in the central city and eastern suburbs, with damage exacerbated by buildings and infrastructure already being weakened by the 4 September 2010 earthquake and its aftershocks. Significant liquefaction affected the eastern suburbs, producing around 400,000 tonnes of silt. The earthquake was reported to be felt across the South Island and the lower and central North Island.


In total, 181 people were killed in the earthquake, making the earthquake the second-deadliest natural disaster recorded in New Zealand (after the 1931 Hawke's Bay earthquake), and fourth-deadliest disaster of any kind recorded in New Zealand, with nationals from more than 20 countries among the victims. Over half of the deaths occurred in the six-storey Canterbury Television (CTV) Building, which collapsed and caught fire in the quake. The government declared a state of national emergency, which stayed in force until 30 April 2011.


It has been estimated that the total cost of rebuilding to insurers to be around NZ$15–16 billion, making it by far New Zealand's costliest natural disaster, and the third-costliest earthquake (nominally) worldwide.


The earthquake would ultimately be one of three major earthquakes in a year-long earthquake swarm affecting the Christchurch area, and was followed by a large aftershock on 13 June 2011, which caused considerable additional damage.


0 faves
Taken on January 20, 2012