L2018_0523 - Dolcoath Mine, New East Shaft, Camborne, Cornwall
New East Shaft engine house contained a rotative beam engine. A secondary beam pumped water from adit level to provide a supply for the ore dressing floors.
A new steam winder was installed in 1894 which resulted in the house being abandoned. In 1913 the house was converted to an electricity substation, with the boiler house right accommodating the switch gear and the engine house itself a transformer.
The openings in the gable ends of the engine house were associated with its use as a sub station and were used to facilitate wires entering the building.
Even today there is a proliferation of electricity supply poles and wires in the area around the engine house.Cornish mining companies were some of the early introducers of electric power in the county.
For new images of Dolcoath Mine - March 2018 please click here: www.jhluxton.com/Industrial-Archaeology/Mines-of-Devon-Co...