Lincoln Exedra Restoration and Rededication
The Lincoln Exedra was created to commemorate the Lincoln stop of 1861. It is located on South Street in Peekskill and provides a direct line for viewing the original train depot (now the Lincoln Depot Museum) below to the West. The land was donated by John Smith Jr., a veteran of the Civil War and a President of the Lincoln Society from 1917-1918. It was designed by Peekskill architect Gilbert H. Anderson and his artist brother Victor C. Anderson. Antonio S. Renza built the structure with granite furnished by the Grenci & Ellis quarry. The center of the exedra contains a bronze portrait tablet of Lincoln that was created at the Tiffany Studios in New York City.

The exedra was original dedicated on October 6, 1925. During its 92-year existence, the structure became damaged by time, the elements and vandalism. President of the Lincoln Society in Peekskill, Barbara Kerasiotes, decided to use her term as president to do something about it. As with any restoration of a 90+ year old structure, one it began the problems and needs mounted. After an intensive 7 month span the structure was completely restored and cap stones were added where the originals once stood. The badly damaged bronze plaque was completely refurbished and re-installed. The entire stone structure was cleaned and the joints completely repointed. Additionally, the planting beds on either side of the structure were rebuilt and new rose bushes planted.

On November 5, 2017, it was time to rededicate the restored monument. Despite a cold and rainy day, the Lincoln Society in Peekskill, dignitaries, members of the public and the significant donors to the project came together to proudly present the restored structure.

For more information on the Lincoln Exedra visit:

www.johngtesta.com/LincolnExedra.html

Visit the Lincoln Depot Museum:

lincolndepotmuseum.org
54 photos · 265 views