Peekskill Trolley 1910
This early 1910 photo shows the Peekskill Trolley along its route after a winter snow fall. The company was originally constructed by the Peekskill Traction Company in 1899 and spanned 5.5 miles and was powered by 600 volts of DC power. The company was taken over in 1900 by the Peekskill Lighting and Railroad Company. The original route was from the Peekskill Train Station out to Lake Mohegan with an extension added later through Buchanan and Verplanck and eventually extensions to VanCortlandtville and then to Putnam Valley via Oregon Road. The advent of public buses caused the trolley system to end by 1926.