Victoria Tower - Jersey, Channel Islands
This tower is a true Martello, and was the last tower to be built in Jersey. It was constructed in 1837, and named after Queen Victoria to commemorate her accession to the throne. Victoria Tower would have been one of the first military buildings to be constructed under the reign of the newly crowned queen.
The purpose of the tower was to prevent the enemy landing at Anne Port and to prohibit access to Mont Saint Nicolas, thus safe-guarding Mont Orgueil. Following a survey of the island's fortifications by Lieut.-Colonel G. G. Lewis (the Commanding Officer of the Royal Engineers), in 1831, the Defence Committee ordered a series of forts to be built. The tower was constructed under the guidance of Lieutenant-Colonel K. H. Oldfield, the Commanding Engineer in Jersey.
During the 20th century, the German occupying forces also fortified this hill-top, but most of their works are now inaccessible. The requisitioned land was used as the headquarters for the 2nd Battalion Artillery Regiment 3, who built 3 bunkers. One had eight rooms and was used as a telephone exchange. The others were 2 roomed and served as sleeping quarters for the troops. The Germans heavily armed Victoria Tower and equipped it with flame-throwers and machine-guns. The tower may have also had an anti-aircraft position. By June 1942, Victoria Tower had a German personnel shelter, mortar, ammunition shelter, an observation/command post and a search light.
The tower was probably one of those sold to the public in the 1920.
Today, the tower is available for hire on a daily basis from the National Trust for Jersey.
St. Catherine's Breakwater can be seen in the background.
Information Source: National Turst for Jersey.