Last Stop U. S. A.
During World War Two, 40,000 U.S. troops per month, including many Piermont residents, passed through this spot enroute to the end of Piermont Pier, the largest port of embarkation on the East Coast, where ships were waiting to transport them to military duty in war-torn Europe. Many of these troops landed on the shores of France where the invasion began on June 6, 1944. Thus this area came to be known as "Last Stop U.S.A".
After the war came to a victorious conclusion, some 533,869 men returned home to the U.S.A. first setting foot on their homeland at the end of that same Piermont Pier.
"Lest We Forget," many of the men who embarked from Piermont never returned.
This plaque is dedicated to the honor of those who served and the sacred memory of those who never returned.