new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Bayou Plaquemine - SI Boat Graveyard | by jeffs4653
Back to photostream

Bayou Plaquemine - SI Boat Graveyard

This ship was originally built by DeFoe Shipbuilding, Bay City, MI in 1921 for the U.S. Army and commissioned as the steel-hulled Junior Mine Planter (JMP) MAJOR ALBERT G. JENKINS. The vessel and crew were assigned to the Fourth Service Command during World War II and homeported at Fort Barrancas, Pensacola, FL . She was decommissioned in 1951 and sold to the Oil Transport Company, New Orleans, LA. Renamed BAYOU PLAQUEMINE [Coast Guard registry 261281], she was rebuilt as a tug. In September 1966 she was sold to the Nickerson Marine Towing Company of Tampa, FL, retaining her name. McAllister Brothers, Inc. of New York, NY purchased the vessel in June 1968, renaming her COURIER. She was scrapped in 1972.

 

[Source]

 

Compare to this 2007 photo, and you'll see that the Bayou Plaquemine is "sinking fast".

1,410 views
1 fave
1 comment
Taken on October 20, 2011