Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center
Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center, a sprawling complex of 80 abandoned buildings in Wingdale NY, Dutchess County.
The hospital complex operated from 1924 to 1994, and at it's peak, housed over 5,400 patients and employed 5,000 people.
The Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center opened in the early 1920s, and was a 961-acre, self-contained city. It had its own train station for access to Manhattan, a reservoir and dam, water treatment and sewage treatment plants; a power plant, and a hospital. It also had a farm for food and meat complete with its own slaughterhouse, a furniture shop, cemeteries, a chapel, kitchens, a greenhouse, a bowling alley, swimming pool, baseball stadium, track, auditorium, gym, and more. A network of tunnels connects many of the buildings.
The property was sold to a private developer in 2004 who planned to turn it into a residential complex and gold course. Due to the expected differences of opinion between the town and developer nothing has happened in the six years since the complex was sold.