The Van Riper-Hopper House was built in 1786 by Uriah (Yurrie) Van Riper when he married Maria (Polly) Berdan. Remaining in the Van Riper family, the house was bequeathed to Yurrie’s great granddaughter, Mary Ann Van Riper, who married Andrew Hopper in 1872. On July 6, 1964, the house was officially dedicated as the Wayne Township Museum. The Van Riper – Hopper House is a fine example of Jersey Dutch architecture. It is a one-and-one half story building with five first floor rooms and four upstairs bedrooms.
Typical of the Jersey Dutch style, the house faces south, and receives full benefit of the sunlight. There are six fireplaces in the house. Some of the floors have original, wide-pine planks. Open ceilings are supported by heavy hand-hewn beams. A mortar of clay, straw and hair holds the walls of stone in place.