First Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, NC
The oldest and largest historic church in Center City Charlotte is First Presbyterian Church on West Trade Street. First Presbyterian Church of Charlotte, NC, was organized at its present location in 1821 and the first church building was dedicated in 1823. The second building was erected on the site in 1857, The Gothic revival architecture style of this building has been retained through all subsequent additions. From the 1857 building, there remains in the present structure the facade of the church, the narthex and tower. The spire was rebuilt in 1883-84 and the sanctuary was enlarged in 1895.