Gephart Burning No 1
© 2012 Jane Waterbury
Gephart was an abandoned school in the town of Boron where I grew up. It became my photographic play ground.
It was built in 1929 and was the the towns first school. It was a cherished landmark to the people of Boron. It burned to the ground in 1994. When it was burning there was a crowd of locals watching it. Several of them where crying.
The fire was caused by arson. There where all sorts of theories about who did it from the local teenage trouble maker to the borax mine who owned the land the school was on. The school was was full of asbestos. It would of cost the mine a fortune to tear the place down.