flickr-free-ic3d pan white

IWalked New York City's Station House 2

Along West 3rd Street is a four-story Beaux-Arts building that was originally built in 1907 to serve as Station House 2 of the New York Fire Patrol. The Fire Patrol was actually a separate unit to the Fire Department. The Fire Patrol’s sole purposes were to aid in salvaging valuable contents from burning buildings and reduce losses for family members and insurance companies. When members were dispatched to a fire, in fact, they did not even carry with them any firefighting equipment. The New York Fire Patrol was started in 1839. At the time of their formation, similar patrols were common place amongst most major cities.

 

Over the past twenty-years, however, city budget reductions have begun to shut down patrols across the country (and the world). The city of London, one of the first to implement such a group, shut down the last of their patrols in 1983. New York City was one of the last holdouts when they ceased all operations on October 15, 2006. The city justified the action by pointing out that by decommissioning the Fire Patrol, they would save tax payers an estimated $8.5 million annually...

 

For more history regarding this site, including how you can visit this locale via one of our MP3 audio walking tours, check out our site here: iwalkedaudiotours.com/2012/06/iwalked-new-york-city%E2%80...

360 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on April 18, 2012