Landis Valley Museum - Grossmutter House
The one and a half story brick house adjacent to the Brick Farmstead was built about 1850 by the Landis family's retiring parents -- thus the name "Grossmutter Haus" or, in English, "Grandmother House". It allowed for sharing the labor and rewards of farm life among an extended family unit while permitting each generation to enjoy a measure of independence and privacy -- a common practice in this part of Pennsylvania.
The small rooms of the "Grossmutter Haus" accommodate a minimal amount of furniture which is simple but adequate to the reduced activity of an aging couple. A simple wooden dry sink laden with accessories and an enclosed fireplace with built-in oven make up the kitchen's work area. The parlor is furnished with pieces from an earlier period, reflecting the tastes of an elder generation.