Title: Little Ankeny
Description: Description: Little Ankeny, also known as the “Field House”, was originally built as the Home Economics Annex in 1920. In 1926, the building was no longer needed as an annex and was moved to be used as the women's field house and headquarters for the Women's Athletic Association. The building became a storage building in 1941.
Additions were made to the building in 1943 to fit the needs for a military research project. In this building scientists of the chemical research and development program at Iowa State College (University) assisted in the World War II Manhattan Project by producing 1000 tons of pure uranium used in the atomic bomb and other nuclear projects. The building was called “Little Ankeny” in reference to the ordnance plant in Ankeny, Iowa and many believed that the top secret research in the little building might have something to do with weaponry. The field house was razed in 1953. A rock plaque is located where the building used to stand.
Copyright 2012, Iowa State University Library, University Archives
For Reproductions: www.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html