new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Eyreville House, Kiltormer early 1960s | by BEO- A Window into the Past
Back to photostream

Eyreville House, Kiltormer early 1960s

The Eyre family were descended from John and Edward Eyre who came to Ireland from Wiltshire in 1649 as officers in the parliamentary army of Oliver Cromwell After the defeat of Irish Catholics and Royalist armies, the victorious Cromwellians seized the lands of the native Irish clans and the lands were given over to the soldiers and those English investors who financially supported Cromwell’s invasion of Ireland. The Eyres took control of much of the lands in the south west of county Galway.

Their main residency was at Eyrecourt.

 

Samuel Eyre who resided at Eyreville was MP for Galway in 1715. A large house was built on the site in 1832 by Thomas Strafford Eyre. It had with twenty one rooms.

Eyres lived in this mansion until 1959 when they moved into a newly built bungalow on the same site.

Due to high house rates the roof was taken off and the building was later demolished.

1,996 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on February 18, 2014