Lamb Shanks with Olives
Recipe from the book "Slow Cooker - Amazing meals with minimum effort".
Prep time: 15 minutes + 15 minutes of pre-cooking
Cooking time: 8.5 hours
•1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour
•4 lamb shanks
•2 tbsp olive oil
•1 onion, sliced
•5 garlic cloves, finely chopped (original recipe calls for 2 cloves)
•2 tsp sweet paprika (I substituted this with 1 paprika, diced)
•14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
•2 tbsp tomato paste
•3 carrots, sliced (original recipe calls for 2 carrots)
•2 tsp sugar
•1 cup red wine
•2-inch cinnamon stick
•2 fresh rosemary sprigs
•1 cup pitted black olives
•2 tbsp lemon juice
•2 tbsp chopped fresh mint (omitted in my dish)
•salt & pepper
• fresh mint sprigs, to garnish (omitted in my dish)
1) Toss the lamb in: flour, salt, pepper. Shake off any excess.
2) Heat oil in a large, heavy pan. Add lamb shanks & cook over medium heat, turning frequently until browned all over (6-8 minutes). Place in the slow cooker.
3) Cook until softened: onions, garlic, paprika.
4) Add: tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, sugar, wine, cinnamon stick, rosemary sprigs. Bring to a boil.
5) Transfer the vegetable mixture into the slow cooker together with the lamb shanks. Cover & cook on low for 8 hours until lamb is very tender.
6) Add: olives, lemon juice, & mint to the slow cooker. Re-cvoer & cook on high for 30 minutes. Remove & discard the rosemary & cinnamon. Garnish with mint sprigs.
I served this with mashed sweet potato, seasoned with cinnamon, salt, & pepper.