Image from page 103 of "History and directory of Newton and Ransom townships, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania;" (1912)
Publisher: Montrose, Pa., J. B. Stephens
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: The Library of Congress
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
carried away by the streamand lost. Lake View Poor Farm This institution was incorporated under an.Vet of Assembly approved April 4, 1868, underthe name of Luzerne Poor Farm, for thetownships of Newton, South Abington andiNorth Aldington. About 1904 the name waschanged to Lake Mew Poor Farm. The Lake View Poor Di.strict now includeseleven town.ships and boroughs, namely: North of the farm and buildings is $16,000 and thepersonal ])roperty, $3,000. The building isheated with hot water, and is equipped with hotand cold water. There were fifteen inmates .lune 7, 1912;the youngest ten years and the oldest eightj^-four years of age. Deputy U. S. Marshal Shot There are many conflicting rumors about theshooting of Hosey by Noah Smith, whicli has madeit very diflScult to prepare this short narration. Itis claimed by a few persons tliat the Deputy Mar-shal was James Hosey; others claim his name wasHosey Phillips. Noah Smith enlisted as a drummer boy atthe beginning of the Rebellion, when only
Text Appearing After Image:
T.AKB VIEW ALMSHOUSE Abington, South Abington, West Abington,Benton, (ireenfield, Newton and Scott town-sliips, and Dalton, Glenburn, LaPlume andWaverly boroughs. The first farm, containing 126 acres, was pur-chased in 18(>8 from Olney Bailey, and in De-cember, 1910, 28 acres more were purchasedfrom the iVlfred Reed estate, making a total of154 acres, of which 120 acres are cleared. Thefirst steward was A. M. Pelham. Burton VandeBogert has been the Steward since .July 1, 1907,and Mrs. VandeBogert, Matron. A. -T. Thomp-son was Steward for eleven years, from Febru-ary 10, 1896 to July 1, 1907. The building is a wooden structure, twostories and basement, size 28x71 feet for theinmates, with an addition on the front, size2(1x36 feet, for the Steward and his family.This new part was built in 1893, during theStewardship of George Vosburgh. The value twenty years of age. It is asserted that after heenlisted, the .suj^erior officers insisted that heshould enter active service as a private
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.