new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Image from page 365 of "Essex... with thirty two illustrations and two maps" (1909) | by Internet Archive Book Images
Back to photostream

Image from page 365 of "Essex... with thirty two illustrations and two maps" (1909)

Identifier: essexwiththirtyt00coxj

Title: Essex... with thirty two illustrations and two maps

Year: 1909 (1900s)

Authors: Cox, J. Charles (John Charles), 1843-1919

Subjects:

Publisher: London : Methuen

Contributing Library: University of California Libraries

Digitizing Sponsor: Internet Archive

 

 

View Book Page: Book Viewer

About This Book: Catalog Entry

View All Images: All Images From Book

 

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

 

 

Text Appearing Before Image:

one erected in 1804;the tower was not completed until 1895. This partof the coast has suffered much from sea encroach-ment ; the old parish church was finally submergedin 1798. Aprebendal stall in St Pauls Cathedral,which took its name from an estate in this parishengulfed by the sea years ago, has long beenknown as Prebenda Consuvipta per Mare. Amongother recent improvements for the use of visitorsand the accommodation of passenger steamers maybe mentioned the lengthening of the wooden pierfrom 530 ft. to 2610. So many flint implements, aswell as chips and waste, have been found at Walton-on-the-Naze that it is considered that a Neolithic factory must have here existed. The populationin 1901 was 2014, but in the summer season it isabout 6000. Wanstead has a railway station at Snaresbrook,the old name of a former hamlet, now incorporatedwith it. The village is on the borders of EppingForest. The church (St Mary), of brick and stone,was rebuilt in the classic style in 1790. Christ 286

 

Text Appearing After Image:

WALTON-ON-THE-NAZE—WEALD Church, chapel of case, was built in 1861. Wan-stead Park, the property of the Corporation ofLondon, is well laid out and open to the public ;it has an area of 200 acres, several fine pieces ofwater, and a heronry. In this park there formerlystood a magnificent and most costly mansionerected by the first Earl Tylncy in 171 5. LouisXVIII. and the Prince de Conde resided here dur-ing the First Empire. It was demolished in 1822.The population increases steadily; in 1871 itwas 51 19, and in 1901 it was 9179. fVariei/, Great (2 m. from Upminster). Thechurch (St Mary) is a brick edifice, much restoredin i860. IVarley, Little (2 m. from East Horndon).The church (St Peter) is a plain building of brick.There is a half effigy in brass to Anne Hamer, ^592; H eald. North (R. Station), is a scattered parishon the road from Epping to Ongar. The church(St Andrew) is a well-built structure of brick andrubble, chiefly of I4th-cent. date. The lofty bricktower is early i6th ce

 

 

Note About Images

Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

933 views
0 faves
0 comments