new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Image from page 366 of "The wanderings of a pen and pencil" (1846) | by Internet Archive Book Images
Back to photostream

Image from page 366 of "The wanderings of a pen and pencil" (1846)

Identifier: wanderingsofpenp00palm

Title: The wanderings of a pen and pencil

Year: 1846 (1840s)

Authors: Palmer, F. P. (Francis Paul) Crowquill, Alfred, ill Bissett, Clark Prescott, 1875-1932, former owner. UPB

Subjects:

Publisher: London : Jeremiah How

Contributing Library: Harold B. Lee Library

Digitizing Sponsor: Brigham Young University

 

 

View Book Page: Book Viewer

About This Book: Catalog Entry

View All Images: All Images From Book

 

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

 

 

Text Appearing Before Image:

paroxysm ofsentiment, and rushed home to his family, exclaiming as he stumbled over thethreshold — Well, well! ee never heard the like on it — but thats grand ! In the morning, after disposing of some bacon and eggs fried in thedripping-tin, we visited King Johns Palace, as it is termed,—a mere shellof ruin, at the rear of Mr. Amoss garden, in a wide meadow; the traces ofdefence are to be followed as far as the edge of the moat pool to the south.Before the Norman Conquest, Osberne and Ulsi had two manors in Clipstone(Kings Clipstone, since designated). These paid gold for one carucate.The land was two carucates. Roger de Busli had in demesne there after-wards one carucate and a half, with twelve villains (small farmers) andthree cottagers (called Borders), having three carucates and a half, and amill of 3s. There was a wood, by places pasturable, a mile either way. InEdward the Confessors time it was valued 60s.; in the Conquerors day, 40s. CEIPSTONE PALACE. THE GREAT LODGE. 353

 

Text Appearing After Image:

King Johns Palate. John, King of England, whilst Duke of Mortaigne, buried his treasons anddissatisfactions in this Palace of Clipstone, and in the hunting-grounds of thevicinity. Edward I. resided here. Mansfield also was a court residence.King Johns mark is proved to have existed upon a tree, cut down an incon-siderable time since; it was eighteen inches within the tree, and a foot fromthe centre : the tree was calculated to have been planted in 1087. Pursuing our morning path to the Berklands, we stayed to admire theGreat Lodge beyond the river Maun, which is of Gothic architecture,enriched with excellent statues, in niches aloft, representing Robin Hood,Little John, King Richard Coeur de Lion, Friar Tuck, Maid Marian, and theMinstrel: the whole has an imposing effect from the pathway leading to it,and the edifice commands a survey for miles around. The few tried andvaliant associates of Robin Hood are stated, by the believers in ballad history,to have been the following:—John Na

 

 

Note About Images

Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

2,448 views
1 fave
0 comments