Image from page 220 of "The ancient stone implements, weapons, and ornaments, of Great Britain" (1872)
Authors: Evans, John, Sir, 1823-1908
Publisher: London : Longmans, Green, Reader, and Dyer
Contributing Library: Getty Research Institute
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
rather flatter on one face, 3^ incheslong, found in Newport, Lincoln, is engraved in the ArchaoloijicalJournal.* An egg-shaped hammer, 3 inches long, of mica schist, and found inthe Isle of Arran,f is in the Antiquarian Museum at Edinburgh. Theshaft-hole is in the centre. Sometimes these hammer-heads are, in outline, of an intermediate formbetween Figs. 151 and 152, being oval in section, and more rounded atthe smaller end than the laiger, which is somewhat flattened. One such,in the Christy Collection, is formed of granite, and was found at Burns,near Keswick, Cumberland. Another, of quartzite, 8:^ inches long, foundon Breadsale Moor, is in the Museum at Derby. Neither of them pre-sents the same high degree of finish as Fig. 151. They seem, indeed,to have been made from pebbles, which were but slightly modified inform by their conversion into hammer-heads. Occasionally, though rarely, flint pebbles naturally perforated havebeen used as hammers. In excavating a barrow at Thorverton,!
Text Appearing After Image:
Fig. 152.—Birdoswald. a near Exeter, the Rev. R. Kirwan discovered a flint pebble about 3f incheslong, with a natural perforation rather nearer one end than the other,but which on each face has been artificially enlarged. Each end of thepebble is considerably abraded by use. No other relics, with the excep-tion of charcoal, were found in the barrow. Mr. Kirwan suggests that thestone may have been used by placing the thumb and forefinger in eachorifice of the aperture ; but not improbably it may have been hafted.In the Museum of Northern Antiquities at Copenhagen are one or twoaxes of flint, ground at the edge, but with the shaft-holes formed bynatural perforations of the stone; and in M. Boucher de Perthes collec-tion § were two hammer-heads with central holes of the same character. * Vol. xxvii. p. 142. t P>oc. Soc. Ant. Scot., vol. v. p. 240. X Trans. Devon. Assoc, vol. iii. p. 497. \ Ant. Celt, et Anted., vol. i. pi. xiii. 9, p. 327. 202 PERFORATED HAMMERS. [cHAP. IX. The bea
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.