Image from page 203 of "The ancient stone implements, weapons, and ornaments, of Great Britain" (1872)
Authors: Evans, John, Sir, 1823-1908
Publisher: London : Longmans, Green, Reader, and Dyer
Contributing Library: Getty Research Institute
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
t been commenced. It was foundat Coxwold, in the North Riding of Yorkshire. An unpierced axe-head of greenstone, 4 inches long, in form muchlike Fig. 136, but with the hollowed face shorter, was found in agrave in Btronsay, one of the Orkney Islands, and is now in the Anti-quarian Museum at Edinburgh. There are slight recesses on each face,sTiowing the spots at which the perforation was to have been com-menced- A perforated axe of serpentine, of the same character as Fig. 134, butwider at the butt, was found in the Thames, and is now in the BritishMuseum, It is 4 inches long and 2| inches wide, with a shaft-hole | inchin diameter. It has the peculiarity of being much thicker at the cuttingend than at the butt, the two faces tapering from 11 inches at the edgeto 7 inch at the butt. A similar feature is to be observed in another axe of hornblendeschist, and of rather more elongated form than Fig. 134, found at Cawton,in the North Riding of Yorkshire, and in the collection of the Rev. W.
Text Appearing After Image:
BORING, THE LAST PROCESS. 185 Greenwell, F.S.A. It is 5f inches long, 2J inches broad, and 2g inchesthick at the cutting end. A partially finished axe-head, with one face and about two-thirds ofthe width of the sides worked into form, is engraved in the HoraeFerales. • It is not a British specimen, but its place of finding isunknown. A rather more elaborate form, having the two faces curved longitudi-nally inwards, and the edge broader than the hammer end, is shown inFig. 135. The original, which is of porphyritic greenstone, was dis-covered by the Rev. W. Greenwell, F.S.A., in a barrow at Cowlam,!near Weaverthorpe, Yorkshire. It lay in front of the face of a contractedskeleton, the edge towards the fiice, and the remains of the wooden
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.