Image from page 219 of "The ancient stone implements, weapons, and ornaments, of Great Britain" (1872)
Authors: Evans, John, Sir, 1823-1908
Publisher: London : Longmans, Green, Reader, and Dyer
Contributing Library: Getty Research Institute
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
llamore both in form and material,was found with a small food vessel accompanyingan interment near Doune. It is 2| inches long,with a parallel shaft-hole f inch in diameter. Another, of small-grained black porphyry neatlypolished, and about 3^ inches long, similar in outlineto Fig. 150, but of oval section, and little morethan an inch in thickness, was found in the TidalBasin at Montrose, and is preserved in the localmuseum. Another variety, allied to the last, has an egg-shaped instead of a quasi-conical form, the shaft-hole being towards the small end of the egg. Thespecimen here engraved. Fig. 152, is apparently of serpentine, andwas found at Hallgaard Farm, near Birdoswald, Cumberland. It isin the collection of the Rev. W. Greenwell, F.S.A. I have a smallerbut nearly similar specimen in greenstone, procured by Mr. E. Tindall,from the neighbourhood of Flamborough, Yorkshire. The hole in this ismore bell-mouthed than in the other specimen, and a little nearer thecentre of the stone.
Text Appearing After Image:
Fig. 151.—HeslertonWold. J * Proc. Sov. Ant. Scot., 12th June, 1871. MADE FROM PEBBLP:s WITH NATURAL HOLES. •201 One of nearly similar form, but rather flatter on one face, 3^ incheslong, found in Newport, Lincoln, is engraved in the ArchaoloijicalJournal.* An egg-shaped hammer, 3 inches long, of mica schist, and found inthe Isle of Arran,f is in the Antiquarian Museum at Edinburgh. Theshaft-hole is in the centre. Sometimes these hammer-heads are, in outline, of an intermediate formbetween Figs. 151 and 152, being oval in section, and more rounded atthe smaller end than the laiger, which is somewhat flattened. One such,in the Christy Collection, is formed of granite, and was found at Burns,near Keswick, Cumberland. Another, of quartzite, 8:^ inches long, foundon Breadsale Moor, is in the Museum at Derby. Neither of them pre-sents the same high degree of finish as Fig. 151. They seem, indeed,to have been made from pebbles, which were but slightly modified inform by their conversion
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.