Image from page 131 of "Germany;" (1912)
Subjects: Germany -- Description and travel
Publisher: London : A. & C. Black
Contributing Library: University of California Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
, EUasHoll, covered himself with glory in the splendour ofhis conceptions and the beauty of his workmanship.The grandeur of the hall in which their sessions areheld should banish all low thoughts and stifleevery selfish scheme. The Perlach Tower thatstands rooted in uprightness surely preaches tothem of that righteousness that should characteriseevery councillor. How strangely silent is the great central streetof Augsburg! There is scarcely a sound of wheels,and hardly a carriage of any kind is visible. Inthe outskirts industry has its home, and greatfactories give employment to thousands of work-men, but on this great historic street all is silentand leisurely. From St. Ulrichs Church, past theFugger house with its curious frescoes; past theold hotel of the Three Moors—one of the oldesthostelries in the world—where Napoleon oncesojourned ; past the fountain of Hercules, that ofMercury, and that most beautiful fountain com-memorative of Augustus, the founder of the city ; KONIGSEE
Text Appearing After Image:
BAVARIA 59 past the Town Hall and the Bishops Palace ; pastthe Cathedral to the Hall of State, where theAugsburg Confession was read for the first timebefore an Imperial diet,—what a history in stone!From the days of Augustus, all down the ages,Augsburg has played its part in the progress of theworlds civilisation. Everywhere in this city wefind homes and haunts and traces of the Fuggers.In St. Ulrichs we admire the richly decoratedFugger Chapel; near the Town Hall we pass thestatue of Jacob Fugger, but best of all we discoverwhat is called the Fuggerei. This is a littleenclosed village with four gates, a fountain, andone hundred little dwellings, and the Chapel ofSt. Marks, founded by Marcus Fugger in 1584.Each dwelling has four apartments that are givento worthy poor Cathohcs, who must, however, payfour marks a year as rent. The rules ordain thateach one must sweep in front of his own door, andlead a peaceable and sober life, repeating a Pater-noster in the morning, an Ave Maria a
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.