new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Hilly Laid Crossing | by Ingy The Wingy
Back to photostream

Hilly Laid Crossing

Hilly Laid Crossing signal box located by the Down & Up Goods line alongside Hillylaid Road level crossing in Thornton. Saturday 12th September 1987

 

Hilly Laid Crossing signal box was a Railway Signal Company Limited hut fitted with a 4 lever Railway Signal Company Limited frame opened as a non block post in 1895 for the Preston & Wyre Railway, replacing an 1874 built Saxby & Farmer installation. A replacement 5 lever London & North Western Railway Company SK.446 frame was installed sometime before closure on 15th November 1987 when the level crossing was converted to trainman operated gates

 

Note, the Preston and Wyre Railway was a London and North Western Railway and Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway joint line

 

The grey pedestal contained a telephone to Poulton signal box for use from 15th November 1987 when the level crossing was converted to trainman operated gates

 

Ref no 07783

1,752 views
6 faves
3 comments
Taken on September 12, 1987