new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Blackpool North No2 | by Ingy The Wingy
Back to photostream

Blackpool North No2

Blackpool North No2 signal box at the entrance to Blackpool North railway station. Tuesday 21st July 1992

 

Blackpool Talbot Road 'A' signal box was Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company standard design fitted with a 120 lever Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company Tappet frame opened circa 1892 for the Preston & Wyre Railway, replacing an earlier signal box located a short distance to the south. The signal box was renamed Blackpool Talbot Road No2 in 1897, and the lever frame was reduced to 93 levers (11-103) in 1922 when levers 1-10 and 104-120 were removed. The signal box was further renamed Blackpool North No2 on 17th March 1932 and the lever frame was further reduced to 83 levers (11-93) at some time when levers 11-20 were removed, the remaining levers 21-103 being renumbered 11-93. The signal box was fitted with uPVC windows in the mid-2000s, and a Unipart Rail individual function switch to release Blackpool North Power Ground Frame Ground Switch Panel was commissioned on 31st January 2011 in connection with the closure of Blackpool North No1 signal box

 

The signal box carries a very battered London Midland & Scottish Railway Company post-1935 design nameboard on the end and a large British Railways London Midland Region maroon enamel sign on the front pointing to Blackpool North railway station. The roof is missing a finial from the near end, and below the two-deep operating floor windows a row of windows have been boarded over

 

In front of the signal box is 42 signal, a London Midland and Scottish Railway 1941 type standard dwarf signal

 

Ref no 13132

9,195 views
3 faves
0 comments
Taken on July 21, 1992