new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Halifax | by Ingy The Wingy
Back to photostream


Halifax signal box located by the Down Main line (behind the signal box) at the north end of Halifax railway station. Monday 13th June 1988


Halifax East signal box was a Railway Signal Company Limited standard design fitted with a 52 lever Railway Signal Company Limited frame which opened in 1884 for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company, replacing a late 1870s signal box. The lever frame was soon extended to 54 levers and in 1892 the original locking was replaced by tappet locking. The signal box was extended at some time to accommodate a 70lever Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company Tappet lever frame. The signal box was renamed Halifax on 30th March 1969 when the lever frame was replaced by a British Railways Eastern Region individual function switch panel allowing the closure of Halifax West signal box and the reduction of Halifax Gods Yard signal box to a shunting frame. The signal box was closed in late October 2018 with signalling passing to the Halifax workstation in the York Railway Operating Centre


The 2x2 pane operating floor windows and row of single pane windows beneath them in the end of the signal box have been replaced by modern replacements and boarding


The redundant track is the remains of the Coal Cells line which closed in the 1980s having served Church Street coal yard on the last remaining stub of the North Bridge branch


Ref no 08618

1 fave
Taken on June 13, 1988