new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
LNER 4472 FLYING SCOTSMAN | by Ingy The Wingy
Back to photostream

LNER 4472 FLYING SCOTSMAN

William McAlpine’s former London & North Eastern Railway Company Gresley 4-6-2 ‘A3’ class locomotive number 4472 FLYING SCOTSMAN of Carnforth Motive Power Depot passes Altrincham signal box on the Up Main line with the Wilsons Brewery’s additional 16:40 Chester to Manchester Victoria return charter (1T09). 17:44, Saturday 29th September 1984

 

Note, 4472 was built to a Great Northern Railway Company design at the London & North Eastern Railway Company’s Doncaster works (works number 1564) in February 1923 as number 1472, being renumbered 4472 and named FLYING SCOTSMAN in February 1924. It was renumbered 502 on 20th January 1946, was further renumbered 103 on 5th May 1946, and was rebuilt from an A10 class to an A3 class locomotive in January 1947. It was transferred to British Railways upon nationalisation of the railways on the 1st January 1948, being renumbered 60103 in week ending 31st December 1948. It was withdrawn from Kings Cross Motive Power Depot in January 1963 and purchased for preservation by Alan Pegler. It was purchased by William McAlpine (Sir William McAlpine from 1990) in January 1973. After passing to Tony Marchington in early 1996 it was purchased by the National Railway Museum in a sealed bid auction on 2nd April 2004

 

The train is passing 57 signal (up main home 3) which is a 4-aspect colour light signal with a position light signal beneath it controlled by 51 lever (up main home 3 to up through siding). This arrangement replaced a semaphore signal on a tall tubular post with a miniature signal on left-hand bracket attached to the post for movements to the up through siding

 

Altrincham North signal box was a London & North Western Railway Company type 5 design fitted with a 72 lever London & North Western Railway Company Tappet frame ((frame number 1874 which was ordered on 19th October 1906) opened by the Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway on 11th April 1908, replacing Altrincham North and Altrincham Level Crossing signal boxes. The signal box was renamed Altrincham in 1968, probably on 14th July when Altrincham South signal box closed, and was closed at 22:00 on 6th July 1991 and was immediately demolished to allow track remodelling to take place in preparation for the coming of the Greater Manchester Metrolink tram system

 

Note the corner of the signal box which was altered (between the early 1930s and mid 1950s) to allow a clear view of the busy Stockport Road level crossing which the signal box controlled. The level crossing was busy enough to warrant traffic lights to control road traffic from at least the late 1950s until the 1970s when the level crossing was closed to vehicular traffic having been replaced by a bridge

 

The signal box carries a British Railways London Midland Region maroon enamel nameplate

 

Ref no EM/04888

10,583 views
2 faves
1 comment
Taken on September 29, 1984