Garden of Remembrance (Dublin)
This attractive park located in Dublin city centre was designed by Dáithí Hanly and dedicated to the memory of all who gave their lives in the cause of Irish Freedom.
The large sculpture by Oisín Kelly is based on the theme of the "Children of Lir".
The Garden commemorates freedom fighters from various uprisings, including:
- the 1798 rebellion of the Society of United Irishmen
- the 1803 rebellion of Robert Emmet
- the 1848 rebellion of Young Ireland
- the 1867 rising of the Fenian Brotherhood
- the 1916 Easter Rising of the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army
- the 1919-21 Irish War of Independence of the "Old" IRA.
The site of the Garden is where where several leaders of the 1916 Rising were held overnight before being taken to Kilmainham Gaol.