Irish United Nations Veterans Association house and memorial garden (Arbour Hill)
Arbour Hill is located at the rear of the National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, which currently houses an exhibition of 1916 related material. A doorway beside the 1916 memorial gives access to the Irish United Nations Veterans Association house and memorial garden.
The UN Memorial Garden was officially opened by President, Mary McAleese, on 8 November 1998. The Remembrance Wall is ‘dedicated to the Irish citizens who died in service of the United Nations’ with names inscribed on the Memorial. On 29 May, for International Peacekeepers Day, the Minister of Defence usually lays a wreath at the UN Memorial. It is attended by members of IUNVA, Irish Defence Forces and is open to the public.
In 2002 the United Nations General Assembly declared 29 May each year as International Peacekeepers Day. Currently there are more than 88,000 UN peacekeeping troops, including 11,000 police, from 118 nations serving in twenty-two UN operations on four continents. In the cause of humanity, the United Nations is the largest multilateral contributor to post-conflict stabilisation worldwide.
By 1990 more than 32,000 Irish Troops had served with United Nations Peacekeeping Missions throughout the world. Sadly, many soldiers of all ranks carrying out their peacekeeping duties in various theatres of operation paid the ultimate price. Others paid a price in the form of wounds and injuries. The Irish UN Veterans Association (IUNVA) was created in their honour. From small beginnings the IUNVA has grown and its work has greatly developed.