POOLBEG STREET [HOME TO MULLIGAN'S PUB]-190213
Most people in Dublin know of Poolbeg Street know it because it is home to Mulligan's Pub.
The first Mulligan's was established on Thomas Street, Dublin in 1782. The Mulligan family moved their business to several different premises, before leasing the present building on Poolbeg Street in 1854. Mick Smyth bought the pub from John Mulligan in 1932. Ownership later passed to Smyth's nephews, Con and Tommy Cusack, before passing to Tommy Cusack's sons.
The former Theatre Royal in Hawkins Street was near Mulligan's, and the pub walls are decorated with associated posters, photographs, and showbills dating back to the early nineteenth century, as well as an autographed photograph of Judy Garland, who performed in the theatre and drank at the pub.
The pub is mentioned briefly in James Joyce's short story, Counterparts, and was used as a filming location on a number of occasions.Journalists and writers drank at Mulligans during the twentieth century, including staff from the Irish Times and from the former Irish Press newspaper - which operated next door until the collapse of the paper in 1995. A number of Dublin musicians also drank there, as several music industry management offices were in the nearby Corn Exchange Building.