Whitefriar Street Church
Founded in 1279, the Church was dispossessed during the Reformation in 1539. The Carmelite community was re-established in 1825, though not on the exact spot of the original foundation. It is regarded by the Province as its “Mother house” and is one of the biggest communities in the Province. Since October 1974, the community has been entrusted with the care of the parish of Whitefriar Street on behalf of the Archdiocese of Dublin. As well as working in the parish, members of the community are also chaplains to the Cork Street Hospital and are the directors of the Whitefriar Street Community Centre which was officially opened in 1998 by President Mary McAleese to serve the needs of the local people.
The Church is one of the largest in Dublin, and houses one of the finest organs in the country which was built by Kenneth Jones Organs Limited in 1983. The church also had a very fine choir for a number of years under the directorship of Shane Brennan, an accomplished organist and musician, and they provided great solemnity to the 11.30 Mass on Sunday mornings. Also found in this church are the relics of St Valentine which were given as a gift to the Church by the Holy See. It also houses many shrines at which candles burn endlessly. In the main entrance off Aungier Street there is a Calvary scene as well as a Shrine of St Albert of Sicily from where people may take 'Albert's Water.'