new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

Portal of the day

This was once the Brooklyn headquarters of the ASPCA, which was founded in New York City in 1866. (Here's a great history of the organization.) The ASPCA owes its existence to the tireless efforts of a single man, Henry Bergh, who "alone, in the face of indifference, opposition, and ridicule," worked to bring an end to the many barbaric acts of animal cruelty once seen as acceptable. That's the organization's seal, featuring an angel preventing a man from beating a horse, perched atop the doorway; this is what it looks like up close.

321 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on June 6, 2012