St Andrew's UC, Launch of Stories from the Honour Boards Website IMG_7870
Merrington Peace Chapel on the occasion of the launch of a website containing stories of more than 100 of the 276 service men and women connected with St Andrews congregation in 1914-18 and whose names are on the honour boards from World War 1. The aim is for the site to eventually contain stories for all 276.
Merrington’s flag (the blue ensign on the right) is an original flag from Federation in 1901 and was presented to Ernest Merrington by the women of St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, when he went to World War 1 as Chaplain (eventually becoming Chaplain General). When Prime Minister Billy Hughes went to France for the signing of the Armistice in 1918, the only Australian flag available was Merrington’s, and it valiantly flew above the assembled Australian Imperial Forces gathered at Le Havre. Timeworn and fragile, it is now kept at Emmanuel College at the University of Queensland and is displayed only on special occasions.
The other flags are the Australian White Ensign representing the Australian Navy and the Royal Australian Airforce Ensign.